With the weather getting cooler, this Apple Crisp makes you look forward to a cozy evening at home. In fact, you may not want to leave the house. Easy to make, this dessert can be a great addition to your family’s Thanksgiving dinner. Served with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, it becomes a dessert that is perfect for a special occasion.
Ingredients For Topping
- 1 cup quick cooking oats (I prefer organic oats)
- 1/8 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/8 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- 12 tbs (1 ½ sticks) cold butter
Ingredients for Apple Filling
- 2 tbs butter plus extra to butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- 10 assorted apples (I used honey crisp and pink lady), peeled, cored, and sliced or cubed.
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 6 tbs heavy cream
Steps For Topping
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Using a food processor or two forks cut the butter into the dry ingredients. You want a crumbly texture. Set aside.
Steps for Apple Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.
- Toss the apples with the rest of the ingredients for the apple filling.
- Arrange the apple mixture in the dish.
- Top the apple mixture with the oats topping mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the apples are tender and the topping is crisp.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.